Comments : Leave a Comment »
Tags: 100000, Blog, Misc, Musings, Random, Thoughts
Categories : Musings
My blog surpassed 100,000 hits today. It’s a big number. What other things are 100,000?
- Wikipedia says 100,000“…is the current world record for the number of digits of pi memorized by a human being.”
- On 11/4/09, Apple announced that there were over 100,000 applications available on the App Store.
- In July 2005, there were 241 American cities with populations over 100,000 per infoplease.com. 62 of those are in California.
- The 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics was stocked with 100,000 condoms…an average of 14 condoms for each of the 7,000 athletes.
- The 100,000th 2010 Chevrolet Camaro…an inferno orange SS according to Autoblog.com…rolled off the assembly line the first week in March, 2010.
- In August 2008, NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope completed its 100,000th orbit during its 18th year of being in service.
- The Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) has an initiative called The 100,000 Lives Campaign “…to significantly reduce morbidity and mortality in American health care” and to save 100,000 lives.
- According to wordstadiums.com, there are 45 stadiums throughout the world that seat 100,000 or more people. 17 of those are in the U.S. Of those 17, speed racing makes up 11, one is used for horse racing (Churchill Downs), and the others are college football stadiums (Texas, Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, and Tennessee).
- Scientific American reported in December 2009 that humans have been eating grains for at least 100,000 years.
- The weekend before the historic 3/21/10 House vote (and passage) of the healthcare bill, calls to House representatives were close to 100,000 per hour.
- On 3/4/10, the Red Cross provided its 100,000th vaccination in Haiti to prevent disease following the 7.0 earthquake on January 12, 2010.
I’ve put a lot of time, energy, and care into writing this blog. Thanks to all my loyal readers and those who just stumbled on the page because they were searching for something they care about. I hope you’ll come back…and maybe even subscribe to my blog (see the flashing box at the top right of this page).
Here’s to 100,000 more reads and to all you good people who are reading! Keep the comments coming…I love the dialogue!
Comments : 2 Comments »
Tags: Blog, Blogger, Blogger Award, Blogging, General, Gratitude, Kreative Blogger, Life, Random, Thoughts, Writing
Categories : Musings
An attitude of gratitude is so important. Especially when there’s such a feeling of lack in the world right now. And I am really grateful for my readers. I started this blog in September 2008 as a political blog.
Since then I changed the focus of my blog to be (usually) on human rights. I’ve connected with some amazing people with similar points of view and some with a different take on things…I love them all. Many of my readers are bloggers themselves and their words enrich my life.
I’ve recently been chosen by two of my blogger friends to receive the Kreativ Blogger award. Thanks so much to these two bloggers for the award. Check them out…their blogs are must reads.
In accepting this award, I’m asked to list seven things I love and pass the award forward to seven blogs I love. Here goes.
Seven things I love:
- My two beautiful adult daughters Julie and Valerie (I know…that’s really two)
- My adorable Shih Tzu dog and companion Tashi
- Barack Obama being our president and Michelle being our first lady
- The beautiful view from every room of my townhouse
- Dancing in NIA class
- Reading a good book (preferably non-fiction)
- Having a stimulating, intellectual conversation
And I pass on this award to seven blogs I love (in addition to Skyewriter’s and Sidhe’s):
- A Time for Change (thoughtful and caring commentary)
- The Mudflats (the best scoop on Alaskan politics from an Alaskan)
- True Blue Texan (straight talk from a blue Texan)
- Margaret and Helen (two best friends of 60 years with a great sense of humor and a lot of wisdom)
- Maryanncp’s Weblog (a heart of gold and working to make a difference in people’s lives…especially women)
- Best of the Blogs (several featured progressive blogs)
- The FreeGirl Foundation (empowering women and raising awareness about gender violence)
After seven months of writing, my little blog is starting to take wings and I thank you, dear readers, for that. Thank you also to all the bloggers who share their knowledge, opinions, passion, and hearts. You’re the best!